The Laurel Presbyterian Church was organized as the Oak Grove Church on April 14, 1860. It met for worship on alternating Sundays in the Howard County Methodist Church known as All Saints Church. In 1865, the congregation began to meet in the Assembly rooms of the Cotton Mill in Laurel. The congregation’s first building was dedicated January 7, 1869, as the Presbyterian Church at Laurel. Located at the corner of 5th and Main Streets, this building was destroyed by the Great Laurel Fire in 1899. Services were then held in the Masonic Hall and at St. Philip's Episcopal Chapel.
The church was rebuilt at the same location and dedicated on January 6, 1901. The congregation, having relied on Presbytery financial support in its earliest years, became self-supporting in 1903. In 1905, it began supporting foreign missions and as well as local outreach. Laurel Presbyterian’s first permanent choir was established in 1910. In 1923, a Sunday School building was built and a Boy Scout Troop was established. In 1946, Potomac Presbytery congratulated Laurel Presbyterian for again achieving full self-support. The first Vacation Bible School was held in 1952.
In 1958, the congregation purchased three acres of land on Sandy Spring Road with immediate plans to erect an educational building and manse. However, construction did not begin soon enough as the National Guard Armory was used to supplement Sunday School spaces starting in 1959.
The current manse was completed in 1959. The Presbyter began appearing in 1960. On Rally Day Sunday, September 24, 1961, the first service was held in the new building. In 1964, two additional acres were purchased for a total of five acres.
In 1967 and the church began to offer two Sunday morning worship services as well as a monthly “mod” worship. In 1983, after spending most of its lifetime in the PCUS and various Presbyteries, denominational unions made Laurel Presbyterian a PC(USA) church in the National Capital Presbytery.
In May of 1993, Laurel Presbyterian Church's enlarged educational wing was dedicated, doubling educational space. Two adjacent acres and a house were purchased in 1997.
In November of 2013, we finished a fellowship hall